Ave Maria University
Ave Maria University is seeking applications for a part time academic administrative assistant for the Elementary Education and Nursing Departments.
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant, Nursing FLSA: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENTS: Nursing and Elementary Education Status: Part-Time
REPORTS TO: Nursing and Education Depart. Chairs Post Date: 7-13-2021
The Academic Administrative Assistant uses independent and discretionary decision making and office management skills in order to fulfill the responsibilities providing a variety of advanced clerical, administrative, and project support duties for the Department of Nursing and Elementary Education department director/chairs and faculty. He/She maintains a current knowledge of the Nursing and Elementary Education program’s policies, procedures, and processes in an effort to assure efficiency and integrity of the programs.
- Greet visitors, students, and/or employees, respond to inquiries, requests for information, and provide assistance.
- Maintains an updated and accurate calendar as well as schedule appointments and office meetings as requested.
- Compose written correspondence, prepares a variety of technical, statistical, financial and narrative reports, letters, memos, and other written correspondence and materials. Creates and updates all departmental forms and prepares items for website;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other employees at AMU to facilitate carrying out instructions involving other departments, transmitting information accurately and tactfully.
- Responsible for the administration, security, confidentiality and retention of Nursing and Education Program student files, maintaining office files, and other appropriate records.
- Prepare syllabi, tests, and other documents as requested by the Director of Nursing and Elementary Education Chairs, and faculty of the departments.
- Assist pre-nursing student with course progression and the scheduling of classes, and registration.
- Assist with lab and classroom orders, textbook and desk copy orders, and office supply orders. Maintain inventory of office & clinical supplies.
- Perform general clerical duties including organizing, filing, shredding and photocopying documents and files, etc.
- Responsible for answering phones, responding to voice or e-mail messages, as well as sending and receiving faxes, and scanning documents.
- Initiate, process and track departmental forms such as purchase orders, review invoices, prepare check requests to accounts payable, type up personnel requisitions, travel authorization forms, supply requisitions, printing requests, travel expense reimbursement vouchers, and other forms as needed.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, send out meeting notices, arrange for catering services, make travel arrangements, and maintain the department calendar.
- Track NCLEX and employment data of graduates.
- Manage distribution of all incoming and outgoing mail; screen and respond as necessary. Assemble attachments and corresponding material. Review outgoing material for completeness, dates, and signatures.
Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision.
- Coordinate pinning ceremony for graduating class.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- Train and supervise work-study student.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of office management and of modern office procedures, systems and equipment.
- Must type 60 WPM, and have working knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software with Excel proficiency.
- Knowledge of department and college policies, procedures, and practices with the ability to answer work related questions; and/or interpret and apply these guidelines correctly in various situations
- Knowledge of business English with the ability to write in complete sentences using appropriate words, correct grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion, and work collaboratively, and under supervision
- Must possess strong initiative, leadership skills, organizational and project management skills, with the ability to multitask to manage a variety of projects and priorities, coordinating the actions of others, follow through on projects to timely completion, and demonstrate excellent judgment with attention to detail.
- Detailed-oriented with skills in proofreading materials and data entry to ensure accuracy.
- Oral and written skills to convey ideas, facts, and information effectively and accurately to students, staff, faculty, and the public.
- Ability to identify what information is needed by others for effective actions.
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to develop and maintain filing systems.
- Knowledge of accounting principles.
- Ability to deal with internal and external customers in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to devise or adopt office procedures to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to organize and coordinate functions and tasks, with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally.
- Well-organized and self-directed with exceptional time management skills.
- Ability both to take initiative and follow-through.
- Ability to perform basic mathematic calculations.
LEADERSHIP and COMMUNICATION SKILLS:
- Follow technical instructions, procedure manuals, and charts to solve practical problems; and/or compose routine or specialized reports or forms and business letters; and/or ensure compliance with clear guidelines and standards.
- Communicate to convey or exchange general work-related information or service to internal or external customers.
- Pleasant and professional customer service skills.
DECISION-MAKING and ANALYTICAL SKILLS:
- Requires moderate decision-making
- Perform clerical or manual duties
- Adhere to college and department policies, procedures, and practices.
- Perform job duties in a safe and efficient manner.
- Use office machines such as telephones, copiers/fax/scanner equipment, and 10-key calculator
- Proficient in computer programs utilized which include electronic mail, Windows XP, Word, Excel and Outlook, and trained on Canvas and Teams software.
- WORKING CONDITIONS – The following physical conditions and hazards may be encountered in this position:
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The position requires close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Employee is occasionally required to stand and walk, and the position does require ability to work in a seated position for hours.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- May provide direction to college work-study students.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor degree is preferred.
- Two years full-time administrative support experience required.
Applicants should register within the Ave Maria University’s online talent management site and upload their cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information.
Electronic applications through the talent module are required. Have all requested documents ready to upload at once, as the system does not allow a second log in to submit additional documents.
Please click or copy and paste this link to your browser to register, upload your application materials and apply online:
Ave Maria University does not discriminate in employment opportunities, practices or the terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Ave Maria University is a Catholic, liberal arts institution of higher learning dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service.
About Ave Maria University
Ave Maria University is a Catholic, liberal arts institution of higher learning devoted to Mary the Mother of God, inspired by St. John Paul II and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, and dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service.”