Ave Maria University
Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach
Ave Maria University is seeking applications for the position of Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach.
Title: Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach
Employee Class: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Head Women’s Basketball Coach
The Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach will assist the Head Coach in teaching, training, and developing the skills of the student athletes in the sport of basketball while integrating the Catholic faith through mentorship and virtue development. Additional duties include assisting with daily operations, recruiting, player development, academic monitoring, and game preparation, while supporting Ave Maria’s mission and values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assist the Head Coach with all on-court preparation including practices and game strategies, and assist with teaching and training the student athletes in the sport of basketball while integrating the Catholic faith. Reinforce the AMU mission and ideals of devotion to service by being a positive role model in the spiritual, character, and athletic development and monitoring of the women’s basketball team players.
2. The assistant coach is responsible to assist with organizing and participating in the recruitment of all student-athletes from first contact to school admittance, and attending tournaments and high school matches. Additional recruiting responsibilities include the preparation of recruiting letters and contacts, and overseeing and planning campus visits.
3. Generate scouting reports on opposing teams.
4. Oversee student assistant responsibilities.
5. Organize and monitor our student athlete’s academic progress.
6. Set up volunteer & faith based outreach in the community.
7. Assist monitoring women’s basketball budget while planning road trips and meals.
8. Participate in management and operations of camps and showcases.
9. Ensure setup of practice and film equipment is in place. Oversee organization of storage facilities and basketball equipment.
INCIDENTAL DUTIES: The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed in this job. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and additional responsibilities may be assigned.
EDUCATION: A Bachelor’s degree is required
EXPERIENCE: Previous experience (1+ years) of basketball coaching and/or competitive playing experience in a higher education setting is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Organization, time management, ability to work independently, strong management skills, ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously, willingness to serve and connect with the students, detail-orientated, flexible, must be able to work nights and weekends. A background in coaching and or playing basketball.
MISSION: Ave Maria University is a Catholic, liberal arts institution of higher learning that is dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service.
Candidates must show a demonstrated knowledge of and strong commitment to the mission of the university and the teachings of the Catholic Church. The assistant coach is responsible for supporting the university in the formation of student-athletes in the intellectual and moral virtues of the Catholic faith.
PHYSICAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must be physically capable of performing athletic tasks related to coaching college athletics with the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10 – 70 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a computer and auditory skills to speak with and listen to the student athletes.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Must be able to work most nights, weekends, and some holidays. Must be willing to travel.
We require electronic application to our online talent management site. You must have all three of the required documents ready before you begin the online application, as the site does not permit additional log ins and uploads. Please upload the following documents to be considered for the position:
A) Attach your Letter of interest addressed to the attention of: Head Women’s Basketball Coach, explaining how you would support the University in the formation of student-athletes in the intellectual and moral virtues of the Catholic faith.
B) Attach your current resume
C) Attach a list of 3 references with their contact information
Have your requested application materials ready and then complete the application and upload your documents by clicking on this URL:
Ave Maria University provides an excellent benefit program for full time faculty and staff.
Ave Maria University does not discriminate in employment opportunities, practices or the terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
About Ave Maria University
Ave Maria University is a Catholic, liberal arts institution of higher learning devoted to Mary the Mother of God, inspired by St. John Paul II and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, and dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service.”