Ave Maria University
Director of Human Resources
Ave Maria University is seeking applications for a full-time Director of Human Resources for the University’s human resources department.
The Director of Human Resources develops, guides, and performs the daily administration, implementation and evaluation of ongoing HR policies, procedures, programs, functions, and human resource staff activities for the institution. The major areas directed are: keeping abreast of and in compliance to regulatory and employment legislation concerns, policy development and documentation, oversight of payroll processing and HRIS management, recruiting and talent acquisition, employee onboarding and off boarding, compensation and benefits administration, employee safety, welfare, relations, and performance management for 200 FTE’s and over 300 part time student workers. The staff that report to the Director are the Human Resources Generalist/Payroll coordinator and a part time assistant. The Director reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration/CFO. All employees must understand the mission of Catholic higher education and be committed to supporting the core values, mission, goals and objectives of Ave Maria University.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
HUMAN RESOURCES, HRIS MANAGEMENT AND RECRUITING: 40%
· Administers various human resources plans and procedures for the institution’s personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies, procedures, forms, job descriptions, and employee handbook updates;
· Manage the full time HR Generalist/Payroll Coordinator, and a part-time human resource assistant;
· Prepares all job descriptions, job postings, written offer letters, and collection of all new hires completed forms and identification to onboard new faculty and staff.
· Ensures that background checks are ordered, received, and reviewed on all faculty and staff new hires and volunteers;
· Serve as a backup to the H.R. Generalist to assist when needed with new employee orientation meetings to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions, employment policies, and use of the HRIS to view pay statements, request time off, etc., and inputs their new hire data within the HRIS.
· Conducts employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling, exit interviews, prepares exit documents, enters termination, calculation of final pay and creates COBRA event;
· Responsible for submission and ongoing administration of worker’s compensation claims, preparation of reports requested by auditor for annual worker’s compensation audit, premium invoice review and payments;
· Responsible for administration and management of family medical leave act or personal leave requests, and the ADA interactive process and accommodations;
· Responsible for submission and administration of short term and long term disability claims and ensuring that third party sick pay is entered correctly in HRIS;
· Responsible for administration of unemployment claims,
· Acts as a liaison with immigration legal counsel to manage all the administrative requirements in order for the university to sponsor certain faculty or staff for work visas;
· Assists in the selection and interaction with insurance brokers, insurance carriers, pension administrators, and works as the liaison to foster effective relationships with representatives;
· Confers with VP Finance and Administration for guidance to respond to employee relation issues such as manager issues, involuntary terminations, employee complaints, etc.
· Assists vice presidents or department supervisors as requested in the investigation, resolution, and documentation of employee relations problems or performance coaching meetings. Offers knowledge and assists with the development of appropriate steps for resolution.
· Prepares, disseminates, collects, tracks, and files annual focal point staff performance reviews.
· Performs employment verifications and reference checks received;
· Handles employees questions on tuition waivers, provides form and policy, verifies eligibility, enters data in tracking spreadsheet and forwards form to Bursar and Financial Aid..
· HRIS MANAGEMENT: Responsible for the selection, implementation, configuration, functionality, training and ongoing use of the human resource information/payroll system to comply with ACA tracking and reporting and 1095-C returns. Annual setup of all benefit plans with their applicable plan data and premiums allocated to employee and employer, set up annual benefit plan open enrollment within ADP WorkforceNow for employee self-service, and work with carrier connection representatives on the electronic transmittal of each plan’s open enrollment election files.
· Ability to review carrier connection transmittal confirmations to ensure the accurate transmittal of benefit enrollment changes. Ability to review, edit, and approve electronic time and attendance records, and time off requests. Ability to download biweekly retirement plan export file, ensure retirement calculations for employer matching contribution are set up and calculating correctly, and that the setup of hours, earnings, deduction codes, pay codes, and accumulators are operating correctly. Able to review pay statements, create manual checks, create pay data batches.
· Knowledge of use of reporting module to create custom and standard reports from HRIS to respond to requests for information from auditors, department heads, government agencies, benefits brokers, SACS, IPEDS, etc.
· RECRUITING: Assists in the talent recruitment process for all faculty and staff. Review and prepare final job description and job posting, posts position within online talent management system in ADP WorkforceNow, and on other appropriate websites as requested. Prepares ticket to website manager to post and/or remove job postings in the Employment Opportunities section of the AMU website. Assists hiring managers as requested with the management of applications, telephone screens, interview of candidates, reference checks, and notification to candidates on application status once the search is concluded. Close job requisitions and take down all job postings.
· Assists with employee training opportunities and learning management system as possible;
· Ensure the most current employment compliance posters are available & posted at all buildings;
· Review all human resources related invoices for accuracy and provide to business office administrative assistant to prepare check requisitions for approval signatures and routing to accounts payable.
BENEFIT AND RETIREMENT PLAN ADMINISTRATION: 20%
· Assists benefits broker with annual marketing of benefit plans by providing census data, reviewing claims/stop loss utilization history, benefit plan designs and rate proposals;
· Work with CFO, and President to determine selection of plans to be offered, and allocation of premium rates between employees and employer; facilitating the finalization of contracts
· Sets up plans and rate structures within Benefits section of HRIS system to ensure that correct benefit plans are available for open enrollments, and that benefit enrollments flow to payroll with proper biweekly deduction amounts;
· Responsible for organizing, communicating, and participating in the annual open enrollment process. Review annual employee benefits guide prepared by benefits advisor firm, and assists with the communication and distribution of benefit plan information and materials to employees. Find and reserve rooms for enrollment meeting presentations, and organize audio-visual and room set up for the open enrollment meetings. Attend and assist with employee questions. Review and approve each employee’s electronic enrollment in HRIS system, and the transmittal of the electronic carrier connection open enrollment change data file feed from ADP WorkforceNow to the benefit carriers. Run benefit enrollment reports to compare to invoices for accuracy.
· Oversees and assists the H.R. Generalist as needed with the education of new hires on the benefit plans, and oversight of timely new hire enrollments.
· Acts as liaison with various carriers and advisors and foster effective relationships with client representatives.
· Review, audit and note adjustments on monthly benefit premium invoices to ensure accuracy prior to providing to assistant for check request preparation, and look for adjustment credits on following invoice.
· Ensures compliance with all applicable laws pertaining to a Section 125 Cafeteria plan and the management of special enrollment rights due to qualifying family status changes. Responsible to ensure that terminations and overage dependents qualifying events are transmitted to the COBRA administrator on the weekly file feed and that they send out election packets. Review monthly COBRA reports for premiums collected, reimbursement payments received and provide spreadsheet to accounting.
· Responsible to ensure that any plan changes are reflected in the Wrap Plan Document and Summary Plan Description.
· Responsible to disseminate the Summaries of Benefit Coverage and SPD’s to all faculty, and staff, and maintenance of the current compliance documents on the HR benefits section of the employer website.D
· Responsible to gather and review Schedule A’s, review the Annual Return/Report of the Employee Benefit Plan Form 5500, and ensure that it is filed to the DOL by the deadline, and maintain documentation of same.
· Responsible for the implementation and ongoing functionality, maintenance, training, and accurate use of the payroll HRIS system;
· Provides guidance and management oversight to HR Generalist/Payroll Coordinator in the day-to-day functions of administering an accurate and timely payroll. Assists payroll with establishing employer taxpayer SIT withholding and SUI accounts in other states as needed for remote online faculty. Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws;
· Oversees, reviews, and assists as needed, with the data entry of new hires, terminations, benefit enrollments, salary changes, and review of payroll preview and register prior to transmittal, and assist with resolution of payroll issues and inquiries;
· Reviews data to ensure accuracy in the payroll process;
· Ensures that the H.R. Generalist/payroll coordinator is performing the downloading and storage of biweekly payroll reports accurately labeled and stored in correct pay date folder, and easily accessible for retrieval to include biweekly payroll registers, labor distributions, master control, payroll audit, and check register, allowed and taken reports, quarterly 941’s, and year-end W-2 and 1095C tax forms;
· Be knowledgeable of the ADP WorkforceNow payroll processing in order to assist as needed or provide backup payroll coverage for payroll coordinator as needed;
· Continues to act as liaison with ADP WorkforceNow service representatives as it pertains to the use and function of all the various modules within the HRIS/payroll system for payroll processing, retirement plan calculations and management reports, recruitment and applicant tracking, benefits, time and attendance, time off, ACA, reports, and utilities.
RETIREMENT PLAN BENEFITS ADMINISTRATION: 5%
· Responsible to assist with the administration of the Ave Maria University Retirement plans, and establish and insure functionality of a biweekly electronic contribution file exchange between payroll and plan record keepers;
· Export management reports from ADP and create excel spreadsheet with contribution data. Print and keep in retirement contribution binder. Email contribution reports for 3 plans to plan administrator at Ave Maria Foundation for them to perform funds transfer. File funding confirmation receipts in binder. Maintain the biweekly spreadsheets and confirmations on the HR drive.
· Provide year-end census data to CBIZ and retirement plan auditor.
· Provide all additional information requested by auditor in order to test selected plan participant’s, tying out payroll data to plan record-keepers data, review of the 5500 Annual Report/Return for the retirement plan, and ensure timely filing of return to DOL by deadline;
· Acts as liaison with various plan record keepers and financial advisors, and fosters effective relationships with representatives. Participates in investment plan committee meetings with financial advisor and CFO.
· Send out fee disclosure notices, and Summary of Material Modification notices to plan participants;
· Responds to employee inquiries regarding enrolling, loans, distributions, contributions, and problem resolution, ensure accurate set up salary deferral elections, and loan repayment deductions and goals in payroll;
· Assist with plan administration and compliance with all applicable laws and the retirement plan documents.
HRIS REPORTS: 10%
· Creates numerous custom reports in order to complete the annual Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey Report by the deadline.
· Generates payroll reports as requested by auditors for annual business office audit, financial aid audit, retirement plan audit, worker’s compensation audit, and as requested by other University department managers;
· Prepares annual Operational Assessment Report for Institutional Effectiveness in order to plan, implement, and evaluate the H.R. department goals.
· Prepares Annual HR Budget Report for CFO
SPECIAL PROJECTS, MEETING, PLANNING, FILE RECORDS MANAGEMENT: 5%
· Advising on employee discipline and participating or conducting investigations into allegations of employment discrimination
· Maintenance of HR web page with up to date forms, benefit and retirement plan information and compliance documents such as SBC’s, SPD’s, Employee Discounts, Holidays, Payroll schedules, and maintenance of job postings for the Employment Opportunities section.
· Oversight of monthly update of ADP home page with birthdays and anniversary lists.
· Participates in administrative staff meetings and other meetings and committees as requested.
· Attend webinars, conferences and legal seminars to network and keep up to date with ever-changing employment laws.
· Oversight of timely and accurate maintenance, scanning, and archiving in the cloud all employee personnel file items, to be completed in conjunction w/biweekly payroll process;
· Maintenance of faculty credential files as provided by Academic Affairs in requirement for the Commission of Independent Education (CIE)/SACOS;
· Maintenance of benefit plan contracts, documents, annual returns, job descriptions, job postings, records and files in accordance with state and federal law in order to minimize liability and ensure adequate documentation of employment practices.
· Perform other duties as may be requested by the President, or VP for Finance and Administration, in order to contribute to the achievement of University goals and objectives;
INCIDENTAL DUTIES: The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed in this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, and some duties may be delegated, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, organization development, human resources management or other related field required. Master’s degree in Human Resources preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 7+ years human resources generalist experience at the Director level performing like duties is required. Minimum of 2 years’ experience in hands-on processing of payroll and management of HR Information Systems is required preferably using ADP WorkforceNow software. Higher Education experience is preferred.
CERTIFICATION: Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or PHR preferred, and/or SHRM-SCP certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Hands on Director role that requires broad knowledge and experience with employment law, recruiting and talent acquisition, skilled with payroll processing and HRIS management, (preferably ADP WorkforceNow). Ability to develop collaborative working relationships, communicate with diplomacy, tact, and sensitivity, maintain confidentiality, and act ethically. Requires experience in the management of worker’s compensation and unemployment claims, international visa programs, job classification, job description, and job posting development, performance management, diversity and inclusion, investigations and employee relations and training. Excellent verbal, written, communication, and customer service skills are required. MS Office proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook, and the ability to use or quickly learn the University’s HRIS and talent management software – ADP. Fast and accurate proficiency in typing and data entry skills are required. Must possess strong analytical and problem analysis/resolution skills, and possess a strict attention to detail. Requires initiative, self-direction, project and people management skills, follow through and the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities concurrently. Must possess a strong work ethic and desire to help others.
WORK CONDITIONS AND ADA:
· Position will be in a University Campus setting and will require sitting for long periods of time, standing, and walking.
· At times, may require availability to work evenings and weekends
· Will require prolonged periods of looking at a computer screen.
· May require long hours to provide support to campus vice presidents, faculty and staff.
· Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, create and read written documents, forms and correspondence, and operate equipment and read technical information. Ability to hear and speak to communicate with employees, and business associates.
· Must share a commitment to the mission, values, goals and plans of Ave Maria University as a Catholic higher education university as expressed in Ex Corde Ecclesiae.
Interested candidates are required to apply electronically within AMU’s online talent management site.
Complete the online application questions, and have prepared to upload all three of the required items to be considered, as a second log in is not permitted:
1) A letter of interest addressed to VP Finance and Administration, that explains your interest, provides an overview of your work experience in relation to the required duties, and discusses your knowledge of the Catholic mission of AMU, and your willingness to support it;
2) A current Resume;
3) Three professional references with contact information for future use if requested and consent is provided, or letters of recommendation.
Click or copy and paste the below link in your web browser to be directed to AMU’s online talent management site to apply for this position:
A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the search is closed. Position is subject to final executive approval. Ave Maria University provides an excellent benefit package to full time faculty and staff.
Ave Maria University does not discriminate in employment opportunities, practices or the terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The Opportunity and Location:
Ave Maria University is located in the town of Ave Maria, Southwest Florida’s newest hometown, and built around the Ave Maria University and the Ave Maria Parish. Ave Maria is a small, safe, and family oriented community that features affordable housing and is just 40 minutes away from the treasures of Naples, Florida with its sugar-sand beaches, cultural attractions and a large array of shopping and dining choices. For more information on the community, please visit this link: https://www.avemaria.com/community/lifestyle/
Ave Maria University
Ave Maria University is a private non-profit academic institution that pledges faithfulness to the teachings of the Catholic Church and offers one of the finest classical liberal arts curricula in America, as well as opportunities for specialized study in all of the sciences and humanities.
Ave Maria is known for its exceptional academics, faithfulness to the magisterium of the Catholic Church, dedicated faculty and caring staff, and a unique educational philosophy that strives to develop the whole person. Our students demonstrate their Catholic faith through service, both locally and abroad, through the Mother Teresa Project. AMU is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, (SACSCOC), to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral degrees. The University has 33-degree majors, 17 NAIA sports teams, as well as non-varsity and intramural club sports, faith Households, and many clubs, activities, and social events. For more information on the University, please visit: www.avemaria.edu
About Ave Maria University
Ave Maria University is a Catholic, liberal arts institution of higher learning devoted to Mary the Mother of God, inspired by St. John Paul II and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, and dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service.”