Ave Maria University
Job Posting – Male Residence Director
Ave Maria University is accepting applications for the position of Male Residence Hall Director.
MALE RESIDENCE HALL DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
2019-2020 Academic Year
Title: Male Residence Director
Employee Class: FULL TIME
Department: 3002 Housing and Residence Life
12 month, full-time, live-in position starting early to mid-May 2019
Reports To: Director of Residence Life and Housing/Dean of Students
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Residence Life, the Residence Director is responsible for the housing operations of the male and female residence hall facilities and the direct supervision of the Resident Assistants in his/her assigned residence hall. The Residence Director will utilize and develop skills in staff supervision, administration, interpersonal communication, management, mediation, and program development while maintaining the spirit of Ex Corde Ecclesiae. The Residence Director, along with the support of his/her staff of Resident Assistants, is responsible for promoting Christ-centered spiritual growth in the residence halls.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Serve as a strong Catholic role model for the students and the community.
· Participate in campus-wide programming and staff events as needed.
· Take part in professional staff on-call duty rotation (nightly and weekend).
· Maintain a specific number of office hours per week.
· Attend staff meetings as determined by supervisor.
· Train and Mange assigned Resident Assistant hall staff.
· Performs special projects and other duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life or the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Responsible for coordinating a variety of operations within the department including roommate matching, data management, occupancy reports, housing contract administration, withdrawals and cancellations, room assignments, residence hall opening and closing, etc.
Coordinate and Approve assigned residence hall room changes.
Assist with the development and monitoring of a system for furniture and equipment inventory and replacement.
Maintain and update a database containing applicant and building information.
· Oversee and coordinate room inspections of assigned residence halls.
· Clearly communicate, interpret and enforce department and University policies to staff and students.
· Ensure staff members are appropriately confronting and documenting behavior issues and concerns.
· Review all incident reports, consult and follow-up on incident reports as needed.
· Oversee resolution of Code of Conduct violations.
· Serve as the Student Conduct hearing officer as needed.
· Assist in providing programs and educational interventions to minimize behavioral issues within the community. Challenge, confront and follow up on negative behavior and vandalism.
· Recommend changes in policies and procedures.
· Assist Security in the evacuation of residence halls during fire drills.
· Administer a comprehensive programming model that provides the residents with a variety of activities and experiences.
· Distribute, collect, and manage all of the forms associated with Residence Life Programming including Planning, Evaluation, and Attendance Sheets.
· Oversee all residence hall programming efforts and maintain appropriate records.
· Design and present campus-wide educational programs.
· Work at deepening relationships with the residents by planning activities, honoring special days (e.g. birthdays, feast days), etc.
· Promote and encourage individual responsibility and respect for others.
· Develop effective relationships with residents through daily interaction.
· Encourage a sense of building pride and respect for the residence hall and community.
· Educate students on the importance of personal and building security.
Counseling and Advising
· Be sensitive and responsive to students’ spiritual, emotional, personal and academic needs; advising and making appropriate referrals to campus resources.
· Attend to the health and safety of residents in medical, psychological and other crisis or emergency situations. Being aware of and responding to the effects such crises have on the community.
Serve as a spiritual shepherd in the residence halls, creating an atmosphere of encouragement and support for the resident students, during daily life, celebration, and times of crisis.
Work with the Office of Service Learning to organize and lead a service project for students each semester.
Seek out individual ministry with residents through being involved, available, and approachable, showing concern, listening, and praying with them.
Keep the residents informed of relevant spiritual information and provide them with resources which will help them grow spiritually.
· Provide on-going supervision, support and evaluation for the Resident Assistants.
· Plan and conduct weekly staff meetings.
· Meet on a bi-weekly individual basis with Resident Assistants.
· Coordinating Resident Assistants weekend duty.
· Assist with opening and closing of the residence halls each semester.
· Build and maintain a working relationship with the Physical Plant staff.
· Report all maintenance and housekeeping problems to Physical Plant.
· Follow up on problems not remedied within a reasonable time.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Organization, time management, ability to work independently, strong management skills, ability to work on multiple tasks, willingness to serve, connect and build relationships with the students, detail-orientated, flexibility, 24/7 availability to students, willingness to work over-time, nights, and weekends.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required and professional Student Affairs experience preferred.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to the attention of Mrs. Vivian Crockett, Director of Residence Life/Dean of Students, and complete the online application form and attach documents by clicking on or copying and pasting this URL link in to your web browser:
Ave Maria University is dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service.
The Residence Hall Director must embrace and advance the Catholic mission and identity of the University through personal conduct that upholds the utmost confidentiality of the office and represents the highest Christian standards.
Ave Maria University does not discriminate in employment opportunities, practices or the terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Ave Maria University provides an excellent benefit package to full time faculty and staff.
For more information about Ave Maria University please visit our website: www.avemaria.edu
The town of Ave Maria is Southwest Florida’s newest hometown, built around the Ave Maria University and the Ave Maria Parish. A small, safe, and family oriented community with affordable housing, yet just 30 minutes away you will discover all the treasures of Naples, Florida with its sugar-sand beaches, cultural attractions such as Artis Naples, the Sugden Community Theater, and a large array of shopping and dining choices. For more information on the community please visit this link: http://www.avemaria.com/community/location
About Ave Maria University
Ave Maria University is a Catholic, liberal arts institution of higher learning devoted to Mary the Mother of God, inspired by St. John Paul II and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, and dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service.”