TITLE: Philanthropy Officer, Mid-West Region
Classification (FLSA): Exempt, Salary
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Donor Relations
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Philanthropy Officer is a front-line ambassador for the Mid-West Region, a specialist at building enduring and ever-deepening interpersonal relationships with donors that empower them to fully engage in the mission of Christendom by making significant gifts of $10,000-$1,000,000 that fulfill their interests and passions. The Mid-West Region covers the north central states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, plus other possible assigned regional states in the future, with the primary focus on city regions, and a particular concentration on the Chicago / Milwaukee corridor.
CHIEF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Donor Qualification (40%)
o Qualify a full caseload portfolio of 140 – 150 donors by meeting with major gift contacts assigned by research in order to assess their philanthropic inclination and ability to make a gift to Christendom.
– Donor Cultivation (50%)
o Create individual goals for each donor on the caseload based on the donor’s history of giving and the college’s knowledge of that donor’s potential, ensuring that each donor is asked at the right time, for the right amount, for the right purpose, and in the manner that best fulfills their desired impact.
o Create a plan for each donor that will serve as a foundational communication and marketing plan for each person on the caseload. Faithfully and on a timely basis execute that plan so that individuals on the caseload are retained and upgraded.
o Collaborate with Advancement Communications team and other college staff to secure appropriate project information to create solicitations to secure gifts, as well as to report back on how the donor’s giving is making a difference (stewardship).
– Other Caseload Management Activities (10%)
o Prepare timely and thorough contact reports following meetings that document the relationship and update key database information.
o Prepare monthly updates that accurately reflect caseload activity and performance.
o Prepare for and actively participate in weekly staff meetings, weekly coaching meetings, campaign lead gift meetings, and special strategy meetings in order to stay engaged with the on-campus team, collaborate with and draw from the talent of the whole team, celebrate successes, and live the Team’s core values.
o Identify cost efficient and effective ways of completing required travel in order to maximize time spent with donors. Submit expenses in a timely and in the required manner.
– This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time for the needs of the College, but a discussion between the employee and supervisor will take place prior to the change.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
– This position requires an individual who is an active, practicing Catholic who is committed to the Church’s mission on earth due to the nature and knowledge required to personally cultivate sincere relationships with assigned active and faithfully Catholic benefactors / donors.
– This position requires: a passionate mission focus, a demonstration of a commitment to excellence, and striving to live the virtues of charity and humility with all you relate to both internally and externally.
– Willingness to adhere to the Advancement Office core values:
o Seeking Christ’s will in all
o Giving of self to others
o Importance of Family Life
– Prior Experience: Minimum of 3 years fundraising (preferred) or sales experience in higher education or comparable industry.
– Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills
– Highly conscientious and able to plan, implement, and self-direct with limited support or guidance
– Respect for the dignity of all you encounter, whether supporters, team members, or the waiter during dinner
– A strong commitment to personal integrity and accountability
– Enjoy meeting new people, learning what is important to them, and building lasting relationships
– Education: BA degree; Newman Guide recommended colleges preferred
– Current (related field) credentials or certification preferred.
– Knowledge of Blackbaud’s NXT preferred
HOME OFFICE & TRAVEL:
– This is primarily a work from home-office / the road position which requires average annual travel of up to 50%, requires some evenings / nights and occasional weekends for special events in order to meet the positions objectives.
– For efficiency and effectiveness, it is preferred (but not required) that the officer should live and work from a location within the North Mid-Western US region. Visits to the Front Royal campus will be required for events, collaboration, planning, and meetings quarterly.
About Christendom College
Christendom College (http://www.christendom.edu) is a Catholic coeducational college institutionally committed to the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church. The particular mission of Christendom College, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels, is "to restore all things in Christ," by forming men and women to contribute to the Christian renovation of the temporal order. This mission gives Christendom College its name. www.christendom.edu