Date: August 17, 2021
Position Available: Vice President of Finance
Position Reports to: Vice President of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., some evenings and weekends and occasional travel, including international, is required
Please apply online: https://franciscan.edu/vice-president-of-finance/
The Vice President of Finance serves as a senior level visionary and innovative leader for the institution. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations and serving as a key member of the President’s Council while partnering with our senior management team, this critical role not only contributes to the financial strength of the University but also shapes and drives improvements to our business model, operational effectiveness, and process efficiency. Successful experience in higher education is a plus, but relevant experience outside higher education will also be considered.
1. Helps shape, drive and continually enhance the University business model, as well as an F&A vision and capabilities, that meet our mission, create stakeholder value, and are sustainable. Provides financial leadership to the institution, contributing to the overall strategy and operational goals of the University from a broad business perspective and with a focus on both influencing change and most effectively deploying the University’s financial resources.
2. Helps create and implement growth strategies that generate new and enhanced revenue streams, as well as ways of further scaling the efficiency and impact of the institution. Directs and participates in acquisition and growth activities to support overall business objectives and plans including on campus and off campus projects.
3. Develops and presents accurate, transparent, and insightful reports, presentations, and communications to engage individuals at all levels of the University to inform decision-making and create a compelling case for change.
4. Models, evaluates, and advises on the financial impact and return of proposed decisions, policies, and strategies. Provides recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities. Translate the University’s strategic and tactical business plans into financial plans. Develops and continually evaluates the University’s short and long-term strategic financial objectives.
5. Develops the policies for and structure of the Finance and Accounting Division. Provides leadership and management of the Controller who is responsible for all aspects of the University’s accounting functions, including identification and implementation of methods and systems for improving accounting functions, activities, procedures, and processes. Oversees facilities, risk and property management and staff. Manages the fiscal affairs of the study abroad program in Gaming Austria.
6. Develops, implements, and maintains robust, efficient and transparent budgeting and forecasting processes, systems and tools as needed to maintain a balanced budget. Provides timely and accurate financial reporting, analysis and management reports of financial results, trends, and forecasts.
7. Initiates appropriate strategies and actions to enhance the University’s investment management decisions and activities, including: the University endowment, intermediate and short-term cash; debt financing (placements and post-issuance compliance); short-term borrowing and interest rate management; and foreign currency purchases and exchanges and related accounting, and bank services and lender relationships. Manages relationships with the University’s lenders.
8. Provides support to the Board of Trustees as needed. Serves as Staff appointee to Trustee Audit, Compensation, Finance, and Investment committees.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Additional duties, expectations and responsibilities may be added or changed as needed to meet the University’s needs.
Must understand, support and embrace the mission of Franciscan University of Steubenville and possess the following:
· Minimum 15 years of professional (F&A) experience with at least 5 years of experience in managing professional and support staff.
· Must demonstrate experience in strategic financial planning and execution, fiscal management and budgeting and investment management. Has a record of achieving results and meeting financial and strategic performance goals.
· Must have proven experience in enhancing, upgrading and/or transforming the Finance and Accounting function, processes, organization, and impact, and influencing change throughout the institution.
· Mission-based Leadership: Understands, embraces, and lives out the University’s Catholic and Franciscan Mission. Takes specific steps to champion the University’s values; inspires the expression and demonstration of these values within others. Builds an environment that reinforces, supports, and advances the University’s mission, vision, and values.
· Strategic Thinking: Monitors relevant trends and data needed to accurately anticipate future implications for the University. Clearly articulates credible views of future threats and opportunities. Demonstrates broad knowledge and perspective, as well as appropriate attention to detail. Identifies and thinks through possible obstacles and related contingency actions and plans.
· Project Management: Defines, communicates, and facilitates project outcomes, measures, milestones, and completion. Creates and uses reporting and feedback processes to monitor progress and adjust as needed.
· Effective Team Management: Clearly articulates expected outcomes for both completed work products and interim milestones and holds people accountable for results; provides appropriate consequences for meeting and not meeting goals. and have a record of providing mentorship and development of subordinates.
· Interpersonal Skills: Must be a strong relationship builder. Uses effective speaking and listening techniques to ensure clear and actionable communications and is effective at identifying and organizing the key points needed for an effective presentation.
· Managerial Courage and Customer Service Focus: Demonstrates both with internal and external stakeholders.
· Master’s degree in Business, Accounting or Finance; CPA preferred.
· Ability to help define, and continually evaluate and improve operational and financial productivity measures; financial planning and analysis / critical thinking; conducting cost-benefit analyses.
· Expert with EXCEL and ability to adapt to our accounting software systems.
· Understanding of FASB Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
· Experience with Fund Accounting.
· Occasional evenings and weekends required.
· Occasional travel, including international.
Candidates must submit an online application, a resume and a cover letter that demonstrates their fit for the position based on their experience, accomplishments and skills as well as their desire to advance the mission of Franciscan University.
Please apply online: https://franciscan.edu/vice-president-of-finance/
For other information and job postings, visit our website at https://www.franciscan.edu
Franciscan University of Steubenville is committed to principles of equal opportunity and is an equal opportunity employer.