At John Paul the Great Catholic University (JPCatholic), holistic formation (spiritual, intellectual and human) is at the heart of what we do and is the most important thing we do. We seek an inspirational, energetic, collaborative and well-formed leader to serve as our Director of Spiritual Formation (DSF). The position reports to our Vice President of Student Formation & Campus Life.
In our 2025 Strategic Plan, holistic student formation is a key strategic priority. It demands a unified, whole-person (spiritual, intellectual and human) formation process, which provides students with the opportunity to encounter Jesus, who is Truth, Beauty, and Goodness within a rigorous and experiential learning environment. Core to our campus environment are an enthusiastic teaching faculty and staff who possess and witness the virtues necessary to love in action and truth. They are central to the formation of students to Impact Culture for Christ—readying them to engage the world for Christ. Our curricular and co-curricular activities prepare students to connect and engage with our community, locally and globally, and with a commitment of thinking beyond self and placing a high value on service.
The DSF is instrumental in working to nurture a vibrant campus environment, which creates the conditions and opportunities for students to seek a personal encounter with Jesus Christ. The DSF will work in the Office of Student Formation and Campus Life and will report directly to the Vice President of Student Formation and Campus Life. The DSF will: encourage students’ deep engagement in the spiritual life on campus; promote and witness the living of virtuous lives; guide the enrichment of our campus ministry and co-curricular experiences; and seek to increase student participation in households and other co-curricular activities.
The ideal candidate will have deep knowledge and experience of the spiritual formation process within a creative environment, along with a deep understanding of the challenges facing young Catholics today.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Create an environment that leads to dynamic spiritual growth for the whole student body.
- Coordinate and lead campus ministry faith formation events; retreats, praise & worship, Bible study, men’s and women’s groups, etc.
- Assist the Student Formation and Campus Life team in implementing the My Success Plan process
- Achieve established spiritual formation goals and objectives by being a proactive catalyst promoting student leadership through encouragement and the removal of barriers
- Be a proactive catalyst to leverage the many gifts and talents of our JPCatholic community in service to both the campus and local communities
- Implement a formal evangelization process as a ‘Point Person’ to shepherd the growing movement of disciple-makers on campus
- Work with our clergy, plan liturgy, manage the effective delivery of the sacraments in an effective manner to best meet the spiritual formation needs of the whole student body
- Continually assess the achievement of spiritual formation goals and desired outcomes
- Complete other tasks and duties as assigned
- Support and abide with all policies, regulations, and guidelines of JPCatholic
- Be an appropriate role model for students and alumni at all times
Note: This full-time job [5-day, 40-hour per week] will involve mostly weekend and evening work.
Housing: This position will include an on-campus private apartment, with all expenses, as part of the compensation.
Qualifications and Skills
- A practicing and committed Catholic with a strong affinity for our mission, a passion and ability to advance it, and the courage to lead consistent with that mission
- An advanced degree, preferably in Theology
- Ability to witness your personal encounter with Jesus Christ to others without words
- A deep knowledge of spiritual formation principles and best practices along with the collaborative development and implementation of spiritual formation plans
- Ability and creativity to achieve key results with limited resources
- Experience in mentoring and developing student leaders
- A strong commitment to a culture of evidence and accountability
- Strong advocacy skills for proper role of spiritual formation within JPCatholic
- Eagerness to develop collaborative relationships with faculty and staff
- Strong communication [listening, speaking and writing] skills
- Optimism, approachability, transparency, empathy, and a sense of humor
To apply, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com