The University of Mary in Bismarck, ND is seeking applicants for a Graduate Assistant. This is a part-time exempt position. The Graduate Assistant for Women’s Swimming supports the head coach in all aspects of the swimming program. This position will assist in travel planning, recruiting, practice planning, meet management, public relations, scheduling, out-of-pool activities, player communication, and other duties as needed.
Candidates will be invited to demonstrate a willingness to support the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities Include:
· Coordinates recruitment, setting up visits and follow-up meetings with potential student athletes
· Assists with developing our student athletes with skill development, academic and social skills
· Assists with meet preparation, community events, travel and other office duties as assigned
Desired Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience include:
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Full time enrollment in a graduate program – must meet eligibility requirements for admission to Graduate Studies at the University of Mary
· Working knowledge of NCAA rules, standards, practices, and procedures
· Must have knowledge pertaining to competitive swimming and be able to demonstrate and perform duties in the pool
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong communication skills
· Upholds and supports the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary
· Supports the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities
· Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in the Office of Intercollegiate Athletics and throughout the university, in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ
This position also includes:
· Graduate Tuition waiver (all 36 credits of Master’s degree)
· A stipend is provided ($3,750/12 months)
· A partial meal plan is provided (75 meals/semester)
In keeping with the University’s strategic plan Vision 2030, this position requires thoughtful commitment to the University’s unique philosophy of collegiate athletics (please see http://www.umary.edu/SportAtMary). Candidates will want to demonstrate clearly in their application materials both an ability and a willingness to understand and champion this vision, which is the bringing together of sport and true virtue.
University of Mary Marauders Athletics
The University of Mary is a member of NCAA Division II and the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference and offers eight varsity sports for women and eight for men. U-Mary became an active member of the NCAA in 2007. The process took only three years after the NCAA waived the final two provisional years, making the University of Mary’s transition to active membership one of the quickest in the organization’s history. The Marauders began competing in the NSIC in the fall of 2006.
Athletics at the University of Mary began in 1970 when Fritz Fell was brought on board to start a men’s basketball program. Al Bortke succeeded Fell in 1973 as the men’s basketball coach and athletic director and over the next 36 years would develop an athletic program that enjoyed tremendous success at the NAIA level and later in NCAA Division II. After achieving a record of 335-156 in 16 years as the men’s basketball coach that included 11 20-win seasons, Bortke became U-Mary’s first full-time athletic director in 1989. During Bortke’s tenure, U-Mary grew from one varsity sport (men’s basketball) to 19, as the Marauders athletic program became a national power in the NAIA. A member of both the Marauders and NAIA athletic halls of fame, Bortke spearheaded the University of Mary’s move to NCAA Division II.
For more information on the University of Mary, please watch a short video by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/Go37Hy6QrVs
To apply from our University of Mary career page, scroll to the top to complete the required fields. Attach your cover letter and resume and click submit.
To apply from outside the University’s website, click this link https://20180131204703_mrqn5wkdjxdxcccb.applytojob.com/apply/iNVtd1lvsC/Graduate-Assistant-For-Womens-Swimming or copy and paste it into your browser.
Files larger than 5MB cannot be uploaded. Any large attachments or any additional attachments, such as transcripts and letters of recommendation may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of application materials will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer