Military Student Affairs/Military Tuition Assistance Coordinator
University of Mary
Military Student Affairs/Military Tuition Assistance Coordinator
The University of Mary has an opening for a part-time coordinator in Military Student Affairs to provide customer service to students and staff and provide information in a timely and efficient manner. In addition, this position serves as the liaison for the university with the Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding. This position requires close adherence to stated Department of Defense, government and financial services policies and procedures, and applicable federal and state regulations. This position serves as an advisor/coordinator for Military Tuition Assistance for all branches of the military assisting military students to ensure they receive their tuition assistance.
Candidates will be invited to demonstrate a willingness to support the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities Include:
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the campus community, the general public, community college personnel and other agencies. Provides specialized customer service to service members; relates relevant and accurate information in-person, electronically and by telephone for all inquiries.
• Acts as coordinator for military tuition assistance all students eligible for military tuition assistance from their respective branches of service. Maintains all appropriate confidential paper and electronic records, and databases to ensure compliance with Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regulations.
• Assists extended education veteran and military students with issues including registration and records, providing advising about academic programs and classes as they apply to receive veteran benefits. Create and update forms necessary to certify students’ enrollment each term such as the Request to Certify Enrollment and Request to Initiate Benefits. Assists Military students who are called to active duty including but not limited to; leave of absence, refund of fees, financial aid issues, etc.
• Serves with the Coordinator of Military Student Services as a contact/liaison for the general public, students and campus community for military student questions and processes. Responds to daily inquiries via office walk-ins, web, email, fax, phone, etc. Assists with University of Mary military students’ walk-in inquiries, phone calls, emails, etc.
• Serves as the point of contact for the Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding.
• Develops on-line support resources for Extended Education military students regarding their benefits, registration and records information. Refers students to the appropriate personnel for specialized assistance and advising.
• Maintains and provides accurate and objective enrollment data, analyzing that data to develop and manage appropriate initiatives.
• Responds to all information requests, audits, and reporting requests from the Department of Defense, Department of the Army, Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education, Extended Education, Office of the Registrar, Business Office, and other campus agencies and organizations when appropriate.
• Communicates with all departments, changes to federal and state regulations, and university policies pertaining to the military students; recommends policies and procedures to include development of written and online products to effectively communicate guidelines that apply to military students concerning eligibility, academic progress and award amount.
• Advise active military students regarding tuition assistance benefits. Ensure all documentation required for submission to secure appropriate benefits for this constituency is collected, validated, and submitted properly and by deadline.
• Provides current and accurate information to students and staff related to tuition assistance benefits and appropriate financial aid programs; assists students in the application process for benefits and completion of eligibility requirements.
• Collaborate closely with enrollment services, financial aid, and student accounts personnel, other campus units, the government, agencies, and other external organizations which provide services to this population.
• Identify and propose solutions for problems that arise concerning military student services issues particularly related to military tuition assistance and other benefit programs.
• Commitment to on-going knowledge base acquisition of the University. Stays current regarding federal and state regulations and guidelines. Maintain professional memberships and associations.
• Attends and actively participates in admission staff meetings, training programs, and planning retreats.
• Demonstrate adequate knowledge in all academic and non-academic offerings, program delivery methods, and admissions standards.
• Enters military student records and maintains accuracy of the University’s database; works closely with Financial Aid, Student Accounts and the Business Office to ensure student’s financial records are accurate; maintains files that may be required for all actively serving military students.
• Performs other related duties as requested and assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience include:
• High school diploma or equivalent plus one (1) additional year college level coursework and one (1) year working with military tuition assistance students or Veterans educational benefits programs. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• Prior military service, experience working in higher education and with a diverse staff is desired.
• Successful candidate will have basic knowledge of financial practices and reporting, secretarial procedures, methods and techniques, Microsoft programs and advanced Excel talents.
• Upholds and supports the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary
• Supports the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities
• Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in the Office of Enrollment Management and throughout the university, in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ
Knowledge and Skills Required:
• Knowledge and familiarity with the military and the various services currently available to veterans and their dependents.
• Expertise in Department of Defense educational programs, the tuition assistance programs for the various service branches, Veterans Affairs, and the GI Bill.
• Demonstrated experience in promoting the welfare of service members and/or dependents.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Excellent communication, oral and written and organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently with flexible schedules and travel
• Valid driver’s license
We thank you for your interest in the University of Mary. Founded in 1959 by the Sisters of Annunciation Monastery, the campus overlooks the beautiful Missouri river and is located in Bismarck, North Dakota, a community of approximately 80,000 people, with wonderful family and parish life, friendly neighborhoods, enjoyable recreational and cultural facilities, a low crime rate, clean air, and excellent schools. The University of Mary, with an enrollment of over 3,000 students, is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association.
For more information on the University of Mary, please watch a short video by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/Go37Hy6QrVs
Review of application materials will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
To view all of our current openings, please visit our career page at https://universityofmary.applytojob.com/apply/.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4518499
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.