Ave Maria University
Campus Security Officer (Part-Time)
Ave Maria University is seeking applications for the position of part time campus security officer.
Please review the position description and application instructions below.
Title: Security Officer (Part Time)
Employee Class: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports To: Director of Security
The primary function of the Security Officer is to help assure a safe educational environment for the students, staff, faculty, and visitors who make up our campus community. The Security Officer provides professional direction and support in matters of physical security, safety, fire prevention, emergency response, and investigation into violations of both university policy and the law. This position also serves to protect all university assets, including all people and property, from criminal activity or other forms of harm by deescalating situations, documenting incidents and activities, and acting as a liaison with local emergency services and the university community at large.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Conduct highly visible, uniformed patrol of university grounds and buildings, including off-campus student housing and facilities, to deter potential criminal activity and violations of university policies. Patrols may be by vehicle, by bicycle, or on foot. Maintain a duty log for all activities, locations, events and significant observations made during shift such as crime reports, fire hazards, water leaks, malfunctioning equipment, and other safety hazards. Write comprehensive accurate incident reports daily.
2. Complete post orders as directed by Security leadership. Provide public assistance, informed guidance, and professional response to all staff, faculty, students, and visitors regarding university security and safety matters, including reports and requests made in person, through telephone calls, texts messages, emails, or notifications received through the campus alert system.
3. Monitoring the operational status of security and access control systems and coordinating the necessary repairs and maintenance to ensure continuity of the security function. Program and operate the university’s card systems, card readers, door locks and key cutting machine as directed. Maintain accurate records of maintenance and work completed.
4. Provide support, supervision, and professional direction to student security officers.
5. Administration and enforcement of the university parking policies. Process parking violation reports and ensure the safe movement of vehicles on campus.
6. Assist with department training and participate in department meetings as required. Perform on-going assessments of safety, security, and emergency preparedness programs.
7. Act as a first responder for emergencies within the patrol area, serve as a liaison between AMU staff and local emergency services, and assist local law enforcement in identifying and locating persons of interest.
8. Respond to alarms; monitor and report the needs of all university security systems for overall property maintenance.
9. Investigate all crimes, policy violations, or suspicious activity as directed.
INCIDENTAL DUTIES: The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed in the position, and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Management may assign additional duties and responsibilities as required.
EDUCATION: Must be a high school graduate or have completed GED. College graduate preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Previous experience in law enforcement, corporate security, emergency management, physical security, or similar strongly preferred.
CERTIFICATION: Valid Florida Driver’s License, First Aid, CPR, and AED certifications (must be completed within 90 days of hire if not currently certified). Willingness to obtain Security license class D and Class G license if required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to make sound judgements and appropriate decisions when responding to situations, reported incidents, or while requesting law enforcement or emergency response personnel. Knowledge of laws and ordinances applicable to colleges and universities, and knowledge of AMU policies and procedures preferred. Must have the ability to operate security related equipment and/or software, including but not limited to physical access control security systems, reporting systems, and alarms. Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed. Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and plans of Ave Maria University as a Catholic higher education university as expressed in Ex Corde Ecclesiae.
PHYSICAL SKILLS, ABILITIES: This position works both in office and outdoor settings in varying weather conditions. Physical effort requires walking, stooping, bending, running, or standing for extended time periods. Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit all AMU property locations, with the ability to stand, walk, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights from 10 – 50 pounds. May also engage in other physical duties, including key cutting, as the need arises. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand, and finger dexterity, including but not limited to the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment, and read technical information.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Upon occasion, will assist in handling or assisting other individuals, discomfort from extended exposure to extreme hot and humid temperatures. May deal with unpleasant or potentially dangerous conditions involving physical disturbances, hazardous material, and exposure to dust, fumes, fire, wind, and rain. Frequent operation of various types of motorized vehicles. Will travel and patrol within the community of Ave Maria to off campus property.
Interested candidates are required to apply electronically within AMU’s online talent management site.
Complete the online application questions, and have prepared to upload all three of the required items to be considered:
A) A letter of interest addressed to the Director of Campus Security that explains your interest and experience, and if you are aware of the Catholic mission of AMU and are willing to support it.
B) A current Resume, and
C) Three professional references with contact information.
Copy and paste the below link to AMU’s online talent management site to your web browser:
A review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Position is subject to final executive approval.
Ave Maria University does not discriminate in employment opportunities, practices or the terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
About Ave Maria University
Ave Maria University is a Catholic, liberal arts institution of higher learning devoted to Mary the Mother of God, inspired by St. John Paul II and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, and dedicated to the formation of joyful, intentional disciples of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament, scholarship and service.”