Teacher – Rhetoric School (9-12) Theology & Latin (2023-2024)
The Donahue Academy is seeking a full-time 9-12 Theology and Latin teacher. Candidates must see themselves as called by God to manifest the love of Christ to high school students through the teaching of theology and Latin, and be a witness to all that is true, good, and beautiful. This calling is joyfully carried out among seasoned faculty who strive for personal sanctity and are “entirely consecrated to the welfare of [their] pupils […] ready to face every difficulty and endure fatigue in order to attain [this] object” (St. John Bosco).
At Donahue Academy, we believe that the pursuit of the transcendental realities cannot be separated from Christ Who is the source of all truth. It is only in the context of our allowing God His due place, with a reverence faithful to the Magisterium of the one, holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church, that an authentic and rigorous liberal arts education is possible. The teaching of theology in such an environment affords the Rhetoric Level students to encounter Christ in a rich and powerful way wherein they can own the faith for themselves and evangelize others.
The Rhetoric Level Latin program is ordered toward acquiring reading fluency in Latin so that students can enter into the great patrimony of the Western Tradition. Latin teachers must assist students in acquiring as much vocabulary as possible, which is best done in a joyful environment of active Latin and extended reading.
The salary is competitive and comes with the standard diocesan benefits. As well as being a faithful Catholic in good standing with the Church, a Florida teaching credential is required. If you do not yet have one, a bachelor’s degree and clear personal history will qualify you for a 3-year temporary license and we will assist you in securing a full license online over that time.
Donahue Academy, located in beautiful Southwest Florida, was founded in 2007 and has quickly risen to the top as one of the foremost Catholic classical schools in the nation. Our academically excellent school has waiting lists in nearly every grade and the highest scores in the diocese of Venice. With the next phase of our expansion underway, we have an expected enrollment of 420 preK-12th-grade students for the 2023-24 school year.
Skills & Experience
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university that is applicable to a teaching assignment.
· Hold a current, 5-year renewable Professional Florida Educator Certificate; a 3-4 year non-renewable Temporary Florida Educator Certificate or be eligible for certification
· Strong understanding and knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy
· Excellent communications skills both written and oral
· Knowledge of school curriculum and concepts
· Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students
· Proficiency with computer network systems and software programs
· Ability to use technology to enhance student learning
· Strong planning and organizational skills
· Undergoing a FDLE Level 2 background check
· In return we offer a competitive salary, schedule and comprehensive benefits including health, dental, short and long-term disability, generous sick/personal days and paid holidays.
Title: Teacher, Full-time
Reports to: Principal
Location: Rhodora J. Donahue Academy, Ave Maria, FL
· Teaches grade-level curriculum consistent with diocesan goals and objectives
Promotes a classroom environment that is loving, safe, and conducive to individualized and small-group instruction
· Develops detailed lesson plans and related instructional materials
· Works with and under Rhetoric Stage Dean, and department chairs
Translates lesson plans into learning experiences; differentiates instruction based on student learning style and needs
· Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning
Continues professional knowledge of developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops, and professional meetings
Encourages parental involvement in student education and ensures effective communication to students and parents
· Administers standardized tests in accordance with Diocesan assessment programs
· Actively participates in faculty meetings and committees
· Participates in activities outside of the classroom involving students
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org