Date: February 17, 2023
Position Available: Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
Position Reports to: Vice President of Student Life
FLSA Status: Exempt
Schedule: Full-time; Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Frequent nights, weekends; occasional travel
Please apply online: https://franciscan.edu/director-of-intercollegiate-athletics/
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Student Life, the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics is a key leader of Franciscan University’s one-of-a-kind, vibrantly Catholic culture where students are formed as disciples of Jesus Christ through lives of charity and ongoing conversion to lead and to evangelize each other and the world. The Director is responsible for the academic and athletic success of the athletic department. The Director implements the institution’s vision for intercollegiate athletics consistent with the institution’s educational mission and philosophy as a Catholic and Franciscan institution.
The Director is also responsible for creating an environment that prioritizes moral excellence, sportsmanship and civility, student-athlete well-being, a culture of invitation and hospitality, and establishing departmental goals and strategies that are in line with Franciscan’s Strategic Plan, including the role athletics can play in strengthening the bonds within the institution and between the institution and the community.
The Director will oversee the overall management, including budgetary oversight, as well as the leadership of the Franciscan Intercollegiate Athletic Program. The Director is responsible for ensuring that the departmental culture is in keeping with the institutional identity of the University, and that the athletic program reinforces all academic, social, and moral standards therein, and creates a culture of risk management and statutory, regulatory, NCAA and conference compliance.
Franciscan Athletics – Leadership
· Set annual strategic goals and objectives in line with the institution’s strategic plan and report on the progress of those goals.
· Work closely with the Faculty Athletic Representative on the areas of student-athlete well-being, academic integrity, and to ensure compliance on the institutional control of the Athletic Program. Also, work towards building strong rapport and the support of faculty for the athletics programs.
· Work closely with the athletic conference to be an active member who is held in high esteem by the conference and other members.
· Uphold, and revise as needed, institutional policy that is consistent with, and potentially more rigorous than, NCAA policies.
· Oversee, manage and support the success of the University’s one of a kind intramural athletics program and club sports initiatives.
· Prepare and present reports regularly for the President, faculty, trustees, conference representatives and others as needed.
· Responsible for the annual assessment of intercollegiate programs as it relates to the stated purpose, goals, and objectives of the program.
· Supervise and mentor all head coaches and staff involved in the program. Hire and regularly evaluate staff and make recommendations for salaries.
· Prepare and manage all aspects of athletic budget and ensure that staff and coaches use integrity in their adherence to budget and their business practices.
· Ensure departmental compliance with all Franciscan University policies and procedures.
· Work closely with coaches and staff to facilitate the areas of compliance, academic eligibility and success, sports information, game management, student development, community service, awards recognition and banquets, and equipment maintenance.
· Build relationships and rapport with Trustees, Businesses, Community Agencies and other friends of the University who can assist with the sustainability and success of the program.
· Attend and support athletic events and meetings.
Franciscan Athletics – Recruitment
· Collaborate closely with the Admissions Office to identify and recruit qualified student-athletes and to meet enrollment goals for student-athletes.
· Collaborate with coaches and hold them to high standards in the recruitment and retention of student-athletes to ensure appropriate and sufficient rosters that will field competitive teams.
Franciscan Athletics – Fundraising & Finance
· Coordinate closely with the Institutional Advancement team to fundraise and to develop funds to improve the athletic programs at Franciscan, including capital funds, operational endowment funds, scholarships for student-athletes, and other athletic support.
· Develop and sustain a strong booster club for Franciscan athletics by cultivating alumni and community relations.
· Provide the Business and Finance Office appropriate and timely information needed to establish student financial aid packages.
Franciscan Athletics – Facilities
· Oversee the proper maintenance of fields and facilities used by the intercollegiate programs.
· Develop recommendations for improving and expanding the Intercollegiate Athletics Program including but not limited to: additional sports, equipment, facilities, funding, and scholarships.
NCAA/Conference/Title IX – Compliance
· Responsible for compliance with all NCAA, NCAA Division III and conference regulations and best practices.
· Complete all NCAA and Conference reports and paperwork accurately and on time.
· Build relationships and rapport with Conference Commissioners, Athletic Directors, Coaches and Trainers to ensure the establishment of a successful program.
· Collaborate with the University’s Title IX Coordinator to ensure compliance.
· Ensure that Title IX Policies and Best Practices are incorporated into Athletics Program on a regular and ongoing basis.
NCAA/Conference – Leadership
· Attend NCAA and Conference meetings and workshops to remain current and stay involved in all aspects of our conference and the larger body.
· Participate at full membership for all sports in NCAA Division III conference.
· Pursue opportunities to host conference championships.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Additional duties, expectations and responsibilities may be added or changed as needed to meet the University’s needs.
Must understand, support and embrace the mission of Franciscan University of Steubenville and possess the following:
· At least five years of successful senior administrative experience in athletics or related field at an institution of higher education (NCAA Division III institution preferred).
· Demonstrated experience with fundraising and development is preferred.
· Strong commitment to University’s Mission, Charism, and Values
· Superior interpersonal and verbal communication skills and demonstrated personal integrity
· Action Oriented: Displays initiative; doesn’t wait to be told or asked to do something. Comfortable acting in the absence of clear guidance or instructions.
· Motivating and Developing Others: Identifies individual motivational drivers and leverages them to optimize performance and results. Is effective at soliciting and using input from others to create buy-in. Helps others continually reflect on their strengths, weaknesses and development opportunities. Is effective at using delegation, coaching and performance management to help others grow.
· Drive for Results: Maintains a clear focus on the intended outcomes of a given goal, project or assignment. Can be consistently counted on to follow through, meet commitments and deliver results.
· Teamwork: Appreciates and leverages individual differences in perspective, style and skills. Shares information openly to ensure everyone has what they need to perform effectively. Is effective at gaining cooperation both within and outside of one’s own department or area.
· Written and Verbal Communication: Clearly and comfortably expresses one’s views and thoughts to different listeners/audiences. Presents effectively in multiple settings: one-on-one, small/large groups, peers, staff and managers. Knows when to use written communications instead of verbal communications.
· Managing and Measuring Work: Clearly articulates expected outcomes for both completed work products and interim milestones. Effectively identifies and organizes steps, tasks, resources and timing needed to accomplish goals. Monitors the work process, progress and results providing appropriate review and feedback loops.
· Bachelor’s degree from a four-year, accredited institution is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
· Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations is required.
· Proficiency in standard desktop software applications (MS Office Suite, etc.)
· Frequent evenings and weekends required.
· Occasional travel required.
Candidates must submit an online application, a resume and a cover letter that demonstrates their fit for the position based on their experience, accomplishments and skills as well as their desire to advance the mission of Franciscan University.
Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to April 1, 2023.
Please apply online: https://franciscan.edu/director-of-intercollegiate-athletics/
For other information and job postings, visit our website at https://www.franciscan.edu
Franciscan University of Steubenville is committed to principles of equal opportunity and is an equal opportunity employer.