Our Lady Seat of Wisdom College, which provides an integrated Catholic liberal arts program in the beautiful Madawaska Valley, seeks to appoint a new president to begin July 2021. The new president will lead a private Canadian Catholic college, which offers a three-year Bachelor of Catholic Studies, in its growth to a flourishing four-year Catholic liberal arts college.
The successful candidate must have an earned doctorate or equivalent, have a deep understanding of, and a strong commitment to, the liberal arts, and:
- have a minimum of ten years of experience in university administration, as well as institutional development, higher education management, and fundraising;
- have a measurable record of successful and ethical academic leadership in governance, long-term planning, and fiscal responsibility;
- have experience in articulating the value of growing Catholic liberal arts institutions in the context of Canadian higher education.
The candidate must have:
- the ability and conviction to promote Catholic liberal arts education as part of the “New Evangelization”;
- strong communication and public relations skills;
- the ability to relate easily to the internal groups constituting SWC, as well as other postsecondary institutions, various levels of Canadian government, clergy (including bishops), and the local community;
- the ability to lead by example in a growing Catholic institution, to initiate new developments in a collegial manner, and to be the public representative of SWC.
The president must be a faithful and prayerful Catholic who is willing to commit annually to the Oath of Fidelity to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church and who is willing to commit to this apostolic work.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Review of applications is underway. Position is open until filled. Start date: July 1, 2021, or as negotiated.
For more information, including application and statement of qualifications, please see https://www.seatofwisdom.ca/about/employment-opportunities/
About Our Lady Seat of Wisdom College
Students at Our Lady Seat of Wisdom College benefit from an intellectually stimulating and academically challenging post-secondary liberal arts program provided by quality Catholic professors. The low student-teacher ratio allows for personal attention and ample discussion, and our students typically excel in the fields of study they go on to pursue.
Our Lady Seat of Wisdom College currently offers a 3-year Bachelor of Catholic Studies degree, as well as one-, two-, and three-year certificates in the classical liberal arts. This degree is being accepted by some institutions for direct admittance to graduate programs, and we are currently working on agreements with more institutions. Our next goal is a 4-year honours degree, and as we work towards that, students who wish to have an honours degree will still be able to complete a 4th year at numerous institutions in Canada, the US, and internationally. In most cases our students have been able to get an honours degree from one of these colleges or universities with just one additional year of study.
Our program features courses in Philosophy, Theology, Literature, History, Languages, Mathematics, Music, Fine Arts, and Natural and Social Science. These studies help to deepen the student’s appreciation of the richness of his or her Catholic faith, and offer the intellectual tools needed to be an effective apostle in the third millennium.
Our identity as a faithful Catholic institution is of utmost importance at Our Lady Seat of Wisdom College. Our students study, pray and live in a vibrant Catholic atmosphere where all the professors are faithful to the Magisterium. There is the opportunity for daily Mass, confession and devotions, and the Faith is joyfully lived out in both residence and social life.
Catholic Theology and Philosophy are part of our core curriculum, and students who have studied at Our Lady Seat of Wisdom are well prepared to live and defend their Faith in the world. At Seat of Wisdom, our students, faculty and staff work and pray together in a community where we are all striving toward a common ultimate goal – Heaven, for ourselves and for those God brings into our lives.