Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
University of Mary
The Director of Intercollegiate Athletics plans, implements, administers, coordinates, and assesses the university’s NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletic program, playing a key role in the development of scholar-athletes, the maintenance of the quality and character of the athletic program, and the enhancement of community and conference relationships in order to advance the university’s mission. S/He reports directly to the Executive Vice President and provides strong supervisory, fundraising, and community relations leadership for a comprehensive intercollegiate athletic program and is responsible for the sound fiscal management of the department’s general operations and scholarship budget.
The appointee has managerial oversight responsibilities for the Associate Director of Internal Operations, Compliance Officer, Head Athletic Trainer, head coaches, Sports Information Director, and Senior Women’s Administrator. Indirect supervision is exercised over the Faculty Athletic Representative. In accord with NCAA guidelines, the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics has a direct line of communication, when needed, to the President of the University of Mary.
A key responsibility is the enthusiastic implementation of and personal investment in the University’s ‘Greatness Through Virtue’ whole-person development model.
Candidates will be invited to demonstrate a willingness to support the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities Include:
· Develops alumni athletics events, community relationships, and fundraising opportunities in collaboration with public affairs
· Provides operating guidance for matters concerning the intercollegiate athletic program and assists with the development and achievement of college-wide goals and policies consistent with the mission, vision, and values at the university
· Provides leadership and management for the development, implementation, and evaluation of an annual operational plan for high quality NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletic programs, staff, and activities to enhance scholar-athlete retention, community relationships, staff development, marketing and public relations, and facilities
· Administers departmental funds and accounts in a fiscally responsible manner; oversees the inventory, control, issuance, and maintenance of athletic equipment and facilities; maintains active participation in university, conference, and NCAA planning systems and professional development opportunities; oversees the recruitment of scholar-athletes in accord with the university’s enrollment goals; sustains a culture of sportsmanship, professionalism, and respect; ensures an environment that promotes scholar-athlete health and well-being and is committed to academic values
· Maintains appropriate intercollegiate athletic department policies, procedures, and practices, ensuring consistency with all university policies, NCAA rules and certification requirements, and all state and federal laws
· Oversees sports-media communications, preparing press releases, arranging media coverage for athletic events, and ensuring the appropriate media is informed of the results of athletic events
· Collaborates with the President, Executive Vice President, and others to support and implement a comprehensive vision for a virtue-based culture of athletics consistent with the university’s mission, affording the university distinction in higher education
· Recruits, hires, and ultimately supervises and directs high-performance coaches and athletic staff members to ensure that the university’s athletic department has a highly competent coaching, administrative, and support staff consistent with its mission
· Represents the athletic department and the university to external constituents, supporting both in various professional and community organizations and events and furthering the university’s public interests
· Serves as a staff resource for intercollegiate athletics to the Board of Trustees and serves on committees as requested
· Serves on and faithfully attends meetings of the following university committees:
o Facilities & Space
· Evaluates all intercollegiate athletic programs and activities on an annual basis and submits a report to the Executive Vice President
· Required: Bachelor’s degree
· Preferred: Advanced degree
· Required: A minimum of 5 years of progressively more responsible and highly relevant experience in coaching and/or athletic administration at the assistant, associate, or director level in NCAA division I, II, or III athletics
· Preferred: Eight years of progressively more responsible and highly relevant experience in coaching and/or athletic administration experience at the assistant, associate, or director level in NCAA division I, II, or III athletics
· Upholds and promotes the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary
· Supports the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities
· Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in the Office of Athletics and throughout the university in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ
Knowledge and Skills include:
· Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations, Title IX compliance, fiscal and operational complexities of an intercollegiate athletic program, and policies and procedures established by the university
· Demonstrated fundraising and/or campaign fundraising skills and an ability to attract external support
· Supervisory skills
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
For more information on the University of Mary, please watch a short video by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/Go37Hy6QrVs
We welcome your interest in the University of Mary. Please click here to apply.
Review of application materials will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer