Director of Residence Life
University of Mary
Director of Residence Life
The Director of Residence Life provides vision and leadership for the University’s 1,315-bed residence life program. The director creates and maintains a residence life culture consistent with the University’s Christian, Catholic and Benedictine mission and identity in order to serve the formative needs of students as part of the University’s Education for Life student experience.
The director trains, mentors, and supervises the professional and paraprofessional residence life staff and provides direction for the department to ensure achievement of departmental goals and to provide for the successful daily operations of the residence life program. This position provides for continuous improvement of the Residence Life program through effective planning, program evaluation and budget management.
Candidates will be invited to demonstrate a willingness to support the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities Include:
• Establishes and maintains a residence life culture consistent with the University’s Christian, Catholic and Benedictine mission, identity, and values.
• Develops and implements effective strategies to achieve high levels of student satisfaction and to meet the University’s occupancy goals in support of the University’s Vision 2030 strategic plan.
• Collaborates with the University’s Creative Services Department to successfully market the residence life program to prospective and current students.
• Hires, trains, directs, mentors, and supervises professional residence life staff to effectively achieve departmental goals for programming and student satisfaction.
• Provides for the effective assessment and evaluation of the performance of the University’s Residence Life Program.
• Works closely with the Student Development Leadership Team to achieve the University’s goals for the Education for Life student experience.
• Provides effective oversight for the daily operations of the Residence Life Program to include management of the application process, room and roommate assignments, resolution of maintenance and safety/security concerns, and resolution of student or roommate conflicts.
• In collaboration with the Information Technology Department, provides oversight for the daily operation of the University’s Residence Life software program (THD).
• Develops policies and procedures for the Residence Life program and assists senior Student Development leaders with updates to the Student Handbook.
• Works in collaboration with Campus Safety and Security and the Physical Plant Departments to ensure the safety of our students by providing 24/7 on-call coverage.
• Ensures student compliance with the University’s on-campus residency requirement and meal plan requirements.
• Develops and implements services, activities, and opportunities that enhance and support the university’s retention initiatives.
• Supports the University’s efforts to successfully recruit new students.
• Supports the University’s summer camps and conferences program.
• Works effectively with a wide variety of constituent groups, including students, parents, university staff, faculty, and the public.
• Serves on committees and councils as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience include:
• Preferred: master’s degree with coursework at the bachelors or graduate level in areas relevant to the position responsibilities (Catholic Studies, Theology, Philosophy, Business Administration, Education, Educational Leadership, and/or Behavioral Studies). Three to five years of successful Residence Life work experience in a college/university setting to include at least one year of experience supervising professional staff.
• Required: Bachelor’s degree and willingness to complete a master’s degree within 2 years of hire in a field closely related to the position responsibilities. A minimum of one year of successful professional work experience in Residence Life in a college/university setting to include at least one year supervising student and/or professional level staff.
• Upholds and supports the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary
• Supports the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities
• Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in the Office of Student Development and throughout the university, in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ
Knowledge and Skills Required:
• Demonstrated competence in administration, student development, budget planning, and management
• Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize, plan projects effectively, and exercise good judgement
• Demonstrated competence with basic research and statistical skills needed to demonstrate program effectiveness and progress towards the achievement of program goals, and the ability to prepare effective reports.
• Demonstrated ability to build collaborative partnerships and build and manage teams effectively.
• Demonstrated competence in the use of electronic tools such as residence life software, social media, and Microsoft Office products.
We thank you for your interest in the University of Mary. Founded in 1959 by the Sisters of Annunciation Monastery, the campus overlooks the beautiful Missouri river and is located in Bismarck, North Dakota, a community of approximately 80,000 people, with wonderful family and parish life, friendly neighborhoods, enjoyable recreational and cultural facilities, a low crime rate, clean air, and excellent schools. The University of Mary, with an enrollment of over 3,000 students, is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association.
For more information on the University of Mary, please watch a short video by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/Go37Hy6QrVs
Review of application materials will begin immediately. Please submit your materials by Monday, November 21 for full consideration.
To view all of our current openings, please visit our career page at https://universityofmary.applytojob.com/apply/.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/3627004
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.